GM Diesel Emissions
This case alleges that the defendant car manufacturers unlawfully installed hidden devices (called “defeat devices”) in the cars that they sold to the public.
The defeat devices allegedly shut down the cars’ emission control systems outside regulatory testing circumstances. As such, the cars were able to pass emission tests but polluted excessively when driven on the road.
The manufacturer defendants in the action are General Motors companies. Bosch and its related companies are also defendants that supplied the vehicles’ engine control computers that allegedly housed the defeat devices.
The Plaintiffs allege that the defendants’ conduct breached Canadian environmental, consumer protection, and other laws.
The Court will decide at a later date if the cases will proceed as class actions.
The case seeks to represent all persons in Canada who purchased or leased any of the following diesel vehicles:
- GMC Sierra 2500HD and 3500HD (model years 2011-2016);
- Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD and 3500HD (model years 2011-2016); and
- Chevrolet Cruze (model years 2014-2015).
- November 27, 2020: The plaintiffs served their certification motion record.
- September 16, 2020: The plaintiffs issued the Second Fresh as Amended Statement of Claim.
- February 4, 2019: The plaintiffs filed the Fresh as Amended Statement of Claim with leave from the Honourable Justice Glustein.
- January 31, 2019: The Superior Court of Justice granted the plaintiffs’ motion to amend the claim. You can find a copy of the Court’s Order here.
- April 20, 2018: The Superior Court of Justice approved the plaintiff’s third party funding agreement.
- July 21, 2017: The Statement of Claim was amended and the Amended Statement of Claim was issued.
- May 30, 2017: Plaintiffs filed their statement of claim with the Ontario Superior Court.
- Second Fresh as Amended Statement of Claim (issued September 16, 2020)
- Fresh as Amended Statement of Claim (issued February 4, 2019)
- Order by Justice Glustein (issued January 31, 2019)
- Decision of the Honourable Justice Glustein (issued April 20, 2018) approving the plaintiff’s third party funding agreement.
- Amended Statement of Claim (issued July 21, 2017)
- Statement of Claim (issued May 30, 2017)