Jean-Marc Leclerc, Partner
Jean-Marc brings a unique approach to class actions, having practiced for ten years at a large corporate defence firm. Since joining Sotos in 2012, he has developed a reputation as a leading practitioner in the field of privacy law and has acquired significant experience acting for plaintiffs in franchise, consumer protection and price-fixing class actions.
Jean-Marc is the past president of the Ontario Class Action Bench-Bar Liaison Committee, which addresses issues of common concern to class action judges and lawyers. Jean-Marc is also a former Chair of the Ontario Bar Association’s Class Action section and has spoken and published numerous articles on class actions. He taught appellate advocacy and has been a guest speaker in class actions at Queen’s University in Kingston. He is a former law clerk at the Federal Court of Appeal and Supreme Court of Canada.
Jean-Marc represents clients in French and English.
In his spare time, Jean-Marc enjoys Muay Thai.
- Ranked in Chambers Canada – Dispute Resolution: Class Action (Plaintiff) (2016 – 2023)
- Listed in Best Lawyers in Canada – Class Action Litigation (2022 – 2024)
- Recognized in Best Lawyers Global Business Edition – Class Action Litigation (2021 – 2022)
- Listed as “Repeatedly Recommended” in Canadian Legal LEXPERT Directory – Class Action (2019 – 2023)
- Listed as Leading Litigation Lawyer in LEXPERT Special Edition – Canada’s Leading Litigation Lawyers (2022)
- Authored a chapter dealing with Litigation and Class Actions in Outbreaks: A Practical Legal and Risk Management Primer for the Healthcare Sector, published on December 29, 2021.
- Legal Education seminars of the Law Society of Ontario, the Ontario Bar Association, the Canadian Bar Association.
- Review underway of Class Proceedings Act, Law Times, October 29, 2018.
- Umbrella damages case going to the Supreme Court, Law Times, September 17, 2018.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Ontario
- American Bar Association
- Advocates’ Society