Adil has practiced in class actions since 2017. Prior to joining Sotos, he worked on privacy class actions at a boutique in Ottawa, then summered and articled at a leading litigation firm, working on product liability, digital technology, and public interest class actions for both plaintiffs and defendants.
He has published peer-reviewed articles on class actions and access to justice, among other topics. He also sits on the executive of the class action section of the Ontario Bar Association, among other sections.
While in law school, he was the top oralist at the Davies Corporate/Securities Moot, the Editor-in-Chief of the University of Toronto Faculty of Law Review, a Senior Editor of the Critical Analysis of Law Journal, and an Associate Editor of the Indigenous Law Review and the Journal of Law and Equity.
Adil is proficient in French and Spanish.
In his spare time, he enjoys playing chess, coding, and learning about technology. He has credentials in cybersecurity, data analytics, automation, and artificial intelligence.
- “Incomplete Justice: The Costs of Partial Indemnity” (2022) 38 Windsor Y B Access Just, 2022 CanLIIDocs 1376
- “The Limits of Case Management: A Review and Principled Approach to the Court’s General Management Powers” (2021) 16:2 The Canadian Class Action Review (co-written with Paul-Erik Veel and Angela Hou)
- “The Circumstances of Change: Understanding the Bedford/Carter Exceptions to Vertical Stare Decisis” (2020) 78:1 University of Toronto Faculty of Law Review 1
- “Correcting Corrections: Resolving Confusion over the Public Correction Requirement in the Ontario Securities Act” (2019) 62:3 Canadian Business Law Journal 310
- Civil Procedure and Practice in Ontario, chapter on rule 53, 2021 CanLIIDocs 2046 (co-written with Paul-Erik Veel and Jessica Roher)
- Civil Procedure and Practice in Ontario, chapter on rule 17.06, 2021 CanLIIDocs 2004 (co-written with Paul-Erik Veel, Madison Robins, and Efua Gyan)
- “Now We Know It Works: A New Special Advantage for Selection Patents” (2022)
- “Culture Shocks of Joining the Plaintiff Bar” (2022)
- “Reverse Class Actions: A New Frontier in Copyright Enforcement?” (2021)
- “AI Inventors: Do they Exist, and Does It Matter?” (2021)
- “Instructions to Spies: Are They Privileged?” (2021) (co-written with William McDowell)
- “The Battle Over TikTok” (2020)
- Co-Chair, “Avoiding Pitfalls in Common Interest Privilege” (forthcoming in 2023)
- Co-Chair, “14th Annual Class Actions Colloquium” (2022)
- Chair, “Avoiding Pitfalls in Litigation Privilege” (2022)
- Co-Chair, “Divine Discoveries: Building a Great Case” (2022)
- Co-Chair, “Enhance Your Social Media Profile and How to Do It Ethically” (2021)
- Co-Chair, “Fireside Chat with Class Actions Bench and Bar” (2021)
- Executive Committee Member (2020-2021), Ontario Bar Association Civil Litigation Section
- Executive Committee Member (2020-2021), Ontario Bar Association Class Actions Section
- Executive Committee Member (2020-2021), Ontario Bar Association Information Technology & Intellectual Property Section
- Executive Committee Member (2019-2021), Ontario Bar Association Students Section
- Vice Chair, Demand Inclusion
- Director, West Scarborough Community Legal Services
- Member, Canadian Muslim Lawyers Association
- Member, South Asian Bar Association