This class action alleges that the defendants unlawfully conspired to rig bids for and artificially inflate the prices of alternators incorporated into new vehicles and sold to dealers and consumers across Canada from January 1, 2000 to March 1, 2010.
An alternator is a device that charges a vehicle’s battery and powers the electrical system of a vehicle when its engine is running.
- January 24, 2020 – The Denso defendants have agreed to settle this action for $5,120,000.00. A Court hearing is scheduled for February 28, 2020 to approve this settlement. Click here to read the Notice.
- June 19, 2017 – the deadline for opting out of the class action has expired
- May 1, 2017 – Justice Belobaba approved the settlement agreement entered into between the plaintiffs and Hitachi
- May 1, 2017 – Justice Belobaba approved the payment of Class Counsel’s fees and disbursements
- March 20, 2017 – Justice Belobaba certified the action for settlement purposes and approved the notice to the class
- December 2, 2016 – the plaintiffs entered into a settlement agreement with Hitachi, Ltd., Hitachi Automotive Systems, Ltd. and Hitachi Automotive Systems Americas, Inc.
- June 14, 2016 – the action was discontinued on a without costs and without prejudice basis as against the defendant Bosch Electrical Drives Co., Ltd.
- February 3, 2014 – the action was discontinued on a without costs and without prejudice basis as against the defendant, Mitsubishi Electric US, Inc.
Orders and Decisions
Reasons of Justice Belobaba dated May 10, 2017 re: Hitachi Settlement
Order of Justice Belobaba dated May 1, 2017 re: Hitachi Settlement Approval
Order of Justice Belobaba dated June 14, 2016 re: discontinuance against Bosch Electrical Drives Co. Ltd.
Order of Justice Belobaba dated February 3, 2014 re: discontinuance as against Mitsubishi Electric US, Inc.
Notices to the Class