For more than 25 years, Louis has acted for individuals and groups in litigation against powerful interests. This has included representing consumers, employees and investors in some of Canada’s most important class actions. Louis has been counsel on numerous ground-breaking proceedings that have brought meaningful access to justice to Canadians. A few of these examples include cases on behalf of tens of thousands of employees who won the right to have their overtime claims heard in court, a case that affirmed the right of the wrongly convicted to sue negligent police forces, and cases on behalf of investors affected by financial manipulation by many of the world’s largest banks.
Louis has been described by his peers as a dedicated, resourceful and unrelenting litigator. He is committed to getting the best results for his clients no matter how long it takes.
Louis began his career as a criminal defence lawyer. He was an active board member of the Association in Defence of the Wrongly Convicted, working to help innocent people reverse their wrongful convictions. In addition to his legal practice, Louis regularly contributes to continuing legal education, particularly with respect to class actions and employment law.
Outside law, Louis’ interests include skiing, travel and Italian motorcycles.
- Amazon Delivery Drivers
- CIBC Unpaid Overtime
- Equifax Canada Co. and Equifax Inc.
- Fiat Chrysler Diesel Emissions
- Ford Fuel Economy
- Foreign Exchange Manipulation (FOREX)
- Gold Price Manipulation
- Instacart Shoppers
- Livingston International
- McKinsey Opioids
- Philips CPAP Machines
- Prepaid Credit Cards
- SSA Bonds
- Silver Price Manipulation
- Ranked in Chambers Canada – Dispute Resolution: Class Action (Plaintiff) (2017 – 2021)
- Listed in Best Lawyers in Canada – Class Action Litigation (2022)
- Listed in Canadian Legal LEXPERT Directory – Class Actions (2018 – 2021)
- Legal Education seminars of the Law Society of Ontario, the Ontario Bar Association, Osgoode Continuing Legal Education. University of Windsor, Cornell University Industrial and Labor Relations School and The Canadian Institute.
- Member of the Ontario Bar Association, Canadian Bar Association and American Bar Association
- Member of the Labor and Employment, Class Actions and Antitrust Sections of the American Bar Association